If you’re confident in your smile, you’ll smile confidently and your enthusiasm will show. But when you’re embarrassed by your smile, you subconsciously try to hide your teeth and avoid smiling. That’s a shame because a human smile is a gift to others. A smile makeover from the team at Royal Dental can give you a smile you’re happy to show the world.
What is a Smile Makeover?
A smile makeover uses a variety of cosmetic dentistry procedures — everything from dental implants to porcelain veneers to gum contouring — to give you a dazzling smile. There isn’t a “set” group of procedures in a Royal Dental smile makeover; the treatment options vary with your unique needs.
What Problems Does a Smile Makeover Fix?
During your consultation with one of our Royal Dental dentists, we’ll learn just what you like and what you hate about your smile. Maybe it’s that your gums are too low, what’s known as a gummy smile. Maybe your teeth were stained by a reaction to tetracycline given to you when you were a child. Maybe you have a gap or a chipped tooth. Just as every person is unique, so are their smiles and corresponding cosmetic problems with those smiles.
There are areas that our smile makeovers will address:
- Alignment and spacing — Smile makeovers don’t include serious tooth movement. That’s the job of orthodontics. But a smile makeover targets problems such as gaps between teeth, misshapen teeth, and slightly crooked teeth. Porcelain veneers and crowns do an amazing job masking these flaws.
- Tooth color — Teeth whitening is a part of every smile makeover, and we usually do this first. Why? We want to get your teeth back to their natural whiteness before we try and match that shade with crowns, bridges, or veneers. If your teeth are stained on the interior, the dentin, then whitening doesn’t help. We can place porcelain veneers over these stained teeth.
- Missing teeth — Replacing a missing tooth or teeth isn’t technically “cosmetic,” but it’s a necessary part of any true smile makeover. For replacing a single tooth or two, we prefer to place dental implants. If you’re missing a series of teeth a bridge, or even a partial denture can be used.
- Balance — Just like other features of your face, your teeth need to be proportional. That’s why it can be so distracting when talking with a person with a gummy smile. To fix that, our diode lasers can remove extra gum tissue in an efficient and remarkably comfortable way. Uneven, chipped, and cracked teeth can be covered with dental bonding, porcelain veneers, or a porcelain crown.
Am I a Candidate for a Smile Makeover?
Just about everyone could use some degree of a smile makeover, so there really isn’t a threshold. But there is one necessity — that the overall health of your teeth and gums is good. Smile makeovers are cosmetic in nature, not full-mouth restorations. Serious oral health problems such as gum disease, missing the majority or all of your teeth, and severe decay need to be addressed before a smile makeover can happen. After you receive a smile makeover, it’s important that you commit to a diligent home hygiene routine to maintain your beautiful smile.
Smile Makeover Benefits
Everyone touts makeovers these days — home makeovers, bathroom makeovers, closet makeovers, wardrobe makeovers, you name it. But a smile makeover can really change the way you feel about smiling and interacting with others. It’s amazing how much we try to cover cosmetic problems with our teeth such as tetracycline staining. A smile makeover will make you more confident and proud of your smile.
Smile Makeover Procedures
At Royal Dental, there isn’t a prescribed list for a patient’s smile makeover; each patient’s unique problems are taken into consideration, and then a treatment plan is created. Still, these are the usual procedures that could be involved:
- Teeth whitening — Using our hydrogen peroxide whitening gels, we return your teeth to their natural color, removing stains from coffee, red wine, and the passage of time. We offer both in-office and at-home whitening options.
- Porcelain veneers — These thin wafers of porcelain are applied to the fronts of the teeth to give your teeth perfect symmetry and a bright white sheen.
- Tooth-colored fillings — Old silver amalgam fillings are replaced with new tooth-colored fillings that are made of composite resin and are invisible once in place.
- Gum contouring — Using a diode soft-tissue laser, your Royal Dental dentist removes excess gum tissue, making your teeth appear longer and in proportion. The laser not only removes the unwanted tissue, but it also seals the cut to prevent bleeding and vastly lowers the chances of infection. It also makes the procedure virtually painless afterward.
- Porcelain crowns — If a tooth has a deep crack or maybe has a large filling that needs replacing, the strength of the tooth is compromised. In these cases, we use a porcelain crown to overlay the entire tooth all the way down to the gumline. Crowns return full strength to a tooth and can be used to change the overall shape of the tooth.
- Dental bonding — For small chips or subtle changes in one or more teeth, we may use dental bonding. Bonding uses a composite resin that is painted on in thin layers and then cured to cover imperfections or change the shape of a tooth.
- Dental implants — At Royal Dental, we believe dental implants are the superior method for replacing a tooth. Implants feature a titanium implant that is screwed down into the jawbone. The jawbone then grows around the implant, fully incorporating it. A post is attached to the implant with a porcelain false tooth atop that. Implants function exactly like a natural tooth.
Smile Makeover Recovery
With most of these procedures, there isn’t any recovery. The one exception is if we place dental implants. Placing an implant requires a couple of recovery periods where your gums need to heal and you’ll eat a soft diet. Otherwise, procedures such as applying veneers or crowns or whitening your teeth have no recovery.
Smile Makeover Results
Most of these procedures are immediate, and you’ll see the changes as soon as you get out of the chair. Your unique needs with dictate how long it will take to complete your smile makeover, but you won’t have to wait to see the fruits of your procedures.
How Much Does a Smile Makeover Cost?
Again, there isn’t a set menu of procedures in a Royal Dental smile makeover. We’ll design a treatment plan for your needs and you’ll be in the loop the entire way about what your procedures will cost.